Sustainable Science Management (BAS)
The BAS in Sustainable Science Management (SSM) comprises a core curriculum in sustainability science, along with foundational sciences and liberal arts. Courses explore sustainability issues in energy, water, community, and others; analyzing the inter-relatedness of topics through systems thinking and dynamics models; monitoring progress through the use of sustainability indicators; and applying experience via internship and capstone.
The BAS degree is granted to students completing the prescribed four-year program. Only courses numbered 100 and above can be applied toward the degree. A tuition differential exists for upper division courses numbered 300 or higher. See tuition and fees section of the catalog.
SSM Lower Division Requirements
Prior to enrolling in upper division (300+ level) SSM courses, students should first complete lower division requirements that may be accomplished in a number of ways.
Lower division requirements (Students entering the SSM program as freshmen)
Transfer & Other Non-New Students
- All students
All students are required to meet the SSM lower division requirements in order to qualify for upper division coursework in the SSM program:
- MATH 115 or MATH 115T; and MATH 135 or higher; both with grade C or better;
- College chemistry with lab (minimum 4 credits) with grade C or better;
- College biology with lab (minimum 4 credits) with grade C or better;
- SSM 275 or equivalent with grade C or better.
- SSM 101 and 202, both with grade C or better.
- Minimum 62 credits in 100+ level coursework.
Note: Students should complete upper division SSM prerequisites early in their program.
- UHMC degree graduates
Students who have graduated with a UHMC two-year degree in ASNS Natural Science, AA Liberal Arts, or AA Hawaiian Studies, and have applied as an SSM major, may take one SSM upper division course per semester (subject to pre-requisites) for up to three semesters, as long as enrolled in requirements of 1a-f coursework.
- Other degree graduates
Students holding a two or four year degree from an accredited institution must have: a) cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in their degree work, b) at least 40 hours of transferrable credit, and c) met the above 1a-g requirements of 1 in order to take upper division coursework in the SSM program
- Non-degree students Students who have completed 62 or more credits of 100+ coursework at an accredited institution may take SSM upper division coursework. To qualify for upper division SSM courses students shall have a) substantially met the SSM lower division requirements set forth in the SSM Program Map, b) achieved grade C or better in all SSM program requirements with a cumulative 2.5 GPA on all transferring credits, and c) met all requirements of paragraph 1a-f.
SSM Graduation Requirements
Students must complete the following in order to graduate with a BAS degree in Sustainability Science Management:
- Meet all lower division requirements in the SSM Program Map or in paragraph 1a-f.
- Complete all required upper division coursework on the SSM Program Map, with grade C or better in each required course and with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 for all SSM program requirements. Upper division electives may be any SSM upper division course, or other 300-level or higher course as approved by the program coordinator. Not less than 6 credits of upper division elective credits must be 400+ level courses.
- A minimum of 30 credits shall be taken at UHMC.
- Complete six credits of capstone courses (SSM 495-SSM 496) over not less than two semesters with grade C or better.
- Complete not less than 15 credits of writing intensive (WI) courses with grade C or better and at least 6 credits shall be in courses of 300-level or higher.
- All SSM alpha required courses (except for SSM 392V) must be taken for a letter grade. A maximum of 6 credits in other coursework may be achieved via Prior Learning Assessment.
- Complete not less than 124 credit hours of coursework in support of the BAS degree. Only courses numbered 100 and above may apply to this degree requirement.
- Submission of a completed Application for Graduation from UHMC.
Upper division requirements for SSM Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree
Full-time lower division students would take this sequence:
First Semester (Fall)
Second Semester (Spring)
Third Semester (Fall)
Fourth Semester (Spring)
Full-time upper division students would take courses in this sequence:
Junior Year (Fall)
Junior Year (Spring)
Senior Year (Fall)
Senior Year (Spring)
Calculus is a prerequisite for SSM 403 and other upper level courses.