Prior Learning Assessment

Students with personal and professional learning obtained outside the traditional classroom that is equivalent to college-level learning may earn credits toward a degree or certificate through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). The measures offered on this campus vary by program, but in general, include a) Credit By Examination, b) Equivalency Exam, c) Non Collegiate-Sponsored Education Credit, and Portfolio.  Where specific policies are not identified, prior learning related to a student’s educational program may be reviewed and credit awarded at the discretion of the appropriate academic program.  Students must consult with their academic and faculty advisors to assess the advisability of seeking credit for PLA, to choose the most appropriate type of PLA, and to determine a PLA assessment strategy.  Credits earned through PLA will carry a grade of CE, CR, or PA, which does not impact grade point average.  Fees accessed are based on the PLA option.

Visit for more information or contact the Academic Affairs office at (808) 984-3232 for further information.


All students officially registered in a course who present evidence to the instructor that through experience or training they have had the equivalent of the course, but have not received college credit for it, may apply for credit-by-examination.

Upon application by students and approval by the appropriate instructor and department chair, a comprehensive test shall be administered and evaluated by the instructor.  Students are encouraged to apply for and take the exam prior to the end of the late registration period.  An examination may not be repeated.  A grade of CE is recorded on the student’s transcript to indicate credit earned through credit-by-exam.  A CE grade will not be computed in the GPA, but credits earned can be counted toward graduation.  Credits earned by examination are not eligible for financial aid.

Equivalency Examinations

CLEP.  Credit may be earned for courses parallel to those offered by the College by taking College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests.  To receive credit, one must be enrolled at the College, but not necessarily in the course(s) for which examined.  The number of credits awarded is based upon the credit value of parallel courses at the College.  Only the CE grade is given.

Minimum test scores for receiving credit will be those published by the College Board.  Credit-by-examination through CLEP in an elementary foreign language course is not available if the applicant is a native speaker of that language.

For information, call (808) 984-3272.

DSST.  Credit may be earned for courses parallel to those offered by the College by taking DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST).  The American Council in Education Guide will be used for determining credit value and relevance to UH Maui College programs. Only CE grades are given.

AP Exams. Students who take the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination may be granted college credit for equivalent courses offered at the College in accordance with the criteria established by the UH Mānoa College of Arts & Sciences.  Application forms for Advanced Standing Credits are available at Admission & Records and the Counseling Center.  Because Advanced Placement policies vary with each college, those who plan to transfer elsewhere should seek information regarding applicability of such scores to their particular majors.

IB Exams. Advanced Standing credit may be awarded for coursework completed in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program.  Contact the Admission & Records Office for equivalencies.

Credit for Non-Collegiate Instruction

College credit may be awarded for successful completion of a formal course offered by an institution other than a college (e.g., labor union courses, agency training programs, professional workshops, military courses) if that course is found comparable to college-level material.

An evaluation will be done only for enrolled students who have completed at least 12 credits of regular offerings at the College.  Only credits applicable toward a designated associate degree or certificate will be evaluated.  No more than one-third of the credits required for a degree or certificate may be earned through non-traditional methods.  The College will record a grade of CE or CR as appropriate.  If students transfer to another college, transfer of non-collegiate credits is subject to the policies of the admitting institution.