Board of Regents Exemptions

Once classified as nonresident status, students continue in this status at the College until submitting satisfactory evidence to Admissions & Records that proves otherwise.

The maximum number of nonresident students that can be accepted by the College is limited by Board of Regents policy.  Students classified as nonresidents are required to pay nonresident tuition, unless exempted from paying such tuition through one of the statutory exemptions listed below:

  1. Nonresidents may be allowed to pay resident tuition if they qualify as one of the following:
    1. United States military personnel and their authorized dependents during the period such personnel are stationed in Hawai‘i on active duty.
    2. Members of the Hawai‘i National Guard and Hawai‘i-based Reserves.
    3. Veterans who are eligible for GI Bill® benefits [Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33); Montgomery GI Bill® (Ch. 30); or Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) (Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment - Ch. 31)]; and their qualified spouse/dependents. (GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at
    4. Full-time employees of the University of Hawai‘i and their spouses and legal dependents (as defined under Internal Revenue Service rules).
    5. East-West Center student grantees pursuing a baccalaureate or advanced degrees.
    6. Hawaiians, descendants of the aboriginal peoples that inhabited the Hawaiian Islands and exercised sovereignty in the Hawaiian Islands in 1778.
  2. Citizens of an eligible Pacific island district, commonwealth, territory, or insular jurisdiction, state, or nation which does not provide public institutions that grant baccalaureate degrees may be allowed to pay 150% of the resident tuition. At the time of publication, these included the following: American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Futuna, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, New Caledonia, Rapa Nui, Republic of Palau, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis

This list is subject to change. For a current list, please contact the Admissions Office.